Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need land management advice

need land management advice  1 year 2 months ago #214

• Diamond
  • Diamond's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We bought a house with 28.5 acres of land July 2015 and are looking for information on best management practices. Most of the land is wooded but almost all trees are less than 50 years old. (The previous owners had the property for 50 years and said it was completely logged/farmland when they bought it.)

There are a few stands of planted timber trees, mostly spruce (I think) and some pine, and a lot of more natural regrowth with a lot of deciduous trees. I would like more information on how to best manage these stands (I know not to "high value" the stands.) and generally manage the forests.

Also, there is a whole section of 20-30 year old trees that are dying off. At first I thought they were hemlocks but a rep from the invasive species extension said they weren't hemlocks.

What's the best way to get some expert advice--that's not someone trying to scam me out of all our high-value trees?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need land management advice  1 year 1 month ago #215

• VanBrakle
  • Thank you received: 4
Assuming you're in New York, I recommend the Master Forest Owner (MFO) Program through Cornell. It's a peer-learning program. They do trainings for landowners, and then those landowners go out and visit other landowners (like you) and offer advice based on their experiences. It's great because you aren't meeting right off the bat with a consulting forester or logger (many of whom are great, but might also push you to do a timber sale before you're ready). The MFO visit is low-pressure and free. For more info, you can check out the MFO activity here on MyWoodlot .

If you aren't in New York, some other states have similar programs you could look into. And most states have landowner organizations too that can help with advice.

need land management advice  1 year 1 month ago #225

• John Chittara
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Check out the Wald-Wissen website for scientifically valid, English articles on growing trees and managing forests in the most long-term, productive ways. The Germans continue to lead in getting the most value from their forests without high-grading or clear cutting. You may find some you tubes on this.

need land management advice  1 year 2 weeks ago #235

• Stewart
  • Thank you received: 0
You can gain assistance through contacting DCNR. A forester will gladly walk your property and talk to you about land management and your forest composition. It is important to not only look at trees but also what is growing underneath because that will be your future forest.

need land management advice  1 year 2 weeks ago #236

• Pavlesich
  • Thank you received: 3
Great point Stewart! Each state has it's own agency that's available to help out people how own woods. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) is Pennsylvania's agency. Here's a link to the PA DCNR's resource page for people who own woods, dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/yourwoods/index.htm . When you click "Service Foresters" you get a list of contact information for getting the site visit Stewart talks about. Thanks for sharing!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds